Monday, February 25, 2008

Regatta Time

It’s a hot, still day on the water, a rarity since we’ve arrived. We’re getting ready to go to “Beach Church” a half-hour non-denominational Christian service that the cruisers themselves organize. It appears as if the choir is the highlight of the service. Should be a great time to reflect upon the gift of being here as well as all the other gifts we have been given in this life. No gifts for me yesterday, however, as Wayne and I played in the first “tennis mixer”. This event was in preparation for the tennis tournament scheduled for “Regatta Week”. I’ll try to explain Regatta Week a little later in the post. At any rate, we had a wet 20+ minute dinghy ride into town, followed by a 12 or 15-minute hike out to February Point, a lovely condo resort close to George Town. We were immediately grateful for the air-conditioned tennis clubhouse, clean and spacious bathrooms, and general upscale nature of the entire facility. The event had been announced as an opportunity for players of all levels (A, B, C and D = me) to get together for a fun time to start working on teaming up players based on their ability level. So, 9 “A” level players show up and me. Wayne and I partner for the first doubles game and I am instantly struck by the fact that I am the only idiot unable to play tennis on the court. After we lose our first match, it is suggested that everybody change partners and play with someone new. This strikes fear into my heart, as I will have to inflict my lack of ability on a stranger. I mention that I might prefer to play with Wayne if I can. The organizer does not hear me, and starts directing people to pair up with new people. One of the gals there says, “I would but she whined about not wanting to….” The other shoe drops and my self-esteem hits rock bottom. I am NOT having fun. OK, so I go through the whole thing with various partnerships trying to be a good sport. Each new partner wants me to stand here or stand there, do this not that, etc. on and on. Everyone else is having a great game, as long as I am not on their team. Well, they are not going to get me off the courts, I can tell you that much. So I stick out the entire event which earns grudging respect from a few and even some scattered praise for being a plucky beginner. After submitting to this torture, the payoff is a big, beautiful shower and a real washing of the hair. First time since Nassau, that would be a month. Heaven. Never mind that by the time we walk back to town we are sweaty again. My hair is out of the braids and clean, clean, clean! It even smells great. Forget tennis humiliation, this was worth it. Wayne had a great time and admitted that the gals were actually of an incredible level. He and his friend “Rockin’ Ron” the Volleyball King squared off against the two top female players, and lost! These gals were GOOD. In addition to the clean, fragrant hair the benefit of this event is that now I do not have to participate in the tennis tournament and can stay on the beach that day to help with the Children’s Regatta Event.

Regatta Week: a week of mainly silly and sometimes serious activities designed to keep the cruising community of George Town motivated toward some end more purposeful than random and frequent alcohol consumption. Events range from the aforementioned tennis tournament to “Coconut Challenge” (four people in one dinghy armed each with one flipper attempting to collect as many floating coconuts as possible). Of course there are things for me like Bridge and Trivial Pursuit and things for Wayne like Volleyball and any other number of silly and serious events including a real sailboat regatta. Each day at 8:00 am the VHF radio waves are animated by the Cruiser’s Net, announcing the days’ activities, the Regatta preparation and events, and a kind of tradio of those offering stuff and those needing stuff. The cruisers earn “points” for their participation in Regatta events – I’m not kidding – and the boat with the most points earns some dubious honor as being the greatest participants in the year’s Regatta Week. The event opens with a black and white masquerade dance for which we are even now contemplating the making of our masks. It ends with a variety show, for which Wayne has written a quirky little 12-bar blues jam. He and I collaborated on the words, and although he insists I sing while he plays I think the crowd will be laughing at the words themselves more than my singing. We are looking forward each to our own events (his physical and mine “intellectual”) as well as getting a couple of crazies to get into our dinghy for the Coconut Challenge. If you are still wondering about this all, please review the definition of Regatta Week.

On to the people: we mentioned Pam and Oliver on Dajarlo before. They are both so delightful it’s hard to say much more. Pam has a voice that sounds like elves laughing and fairies twinkling. She always has a smile for everyone, and when she is not announcing the Cruisers Net it’s just not the same. Then there’s Rockin’ Ron and Karen on Sea Dancer. Ron is not only the organizer of the “A” league volleyball players, he’s also the DJ for the dances. He’s a great, friendly guy with a multitude of talents not the least of which is a serious Jitterbug ability. He spins discs for the cruisers every other week or so at the Chat and Chill and we all love dancing under the stars, looking out at the beautiful Bahamian water and the lovely Casuarina trees. Dances start and end early, and all there have a wonderful time. Karen is a great partner for Ron – when they get together on the dance floor it’s as if she is super-glued to him. We are looking forward to another dance this Tuesday, and Wayne is helping Ron with a little carpentry project to add lights all around. Ooopppsss, well time to go to “church”. More later!

No comments: