Friday, February 8, 2008

Exuma Life




Life in the Exumas is usually gentle, mild, pleasant and fun. As a matter of fact, we may be having too much fun! The pictures above are from Warderick Wells, a park/nature preserve where boaters leave a piece of driftwood with their boat name on top of the highest hill, and Staniel Cay where we enjoyed outstanding hospitality. We'll post up pictures of George Town as soon as we have some! We've been SO busy just getting to know people and events. I have started to offer Pilates to the cruiser community twice a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I always have 15 or 20 people, and they rave about it. It is extraordinary to be able to do this on a gorgeous beach, and the positive karma it generates is indescribable. I have also been able to barter quite a bit of jewelry, and have had several commissions. I have created some unique earrings from the shells on the beaches on the ocean side of Stocking Island, and hope to bring back enough shells to make a bunch in Marquette. I'm learning to play bridge, and that's about all the time I have. Wayne and I run almost every morning on a gorgeous, deserted beach about 10-minutes away from where we are anchored, followed by a skinny little dip in the turquoise water. We have found some splendid, fragrant long-needled pine trees and after our run and splash Wayne works in small clay figures and I stretch, read, etc. The beaches in George Town are each given names for their primary activities: we are anchored near Hamburger beach as the Peace and Plenty (used to) operate a little lunch place there. The main activities including bridge, dominoes, basket weaving (really, no kidding on that one) and various other games are held on Volley Ball Beach. There is Sand Dollar beach where you can find lovely sand dollars, and a variety of other, smaller beaches. All of them offer gorgeous, soft pink sand and incredible views. Sometimes the hub-bub of Volley Ball Beach is too much for Wayne, and he spends an afternoon just hanging out on the boat. I usually make the 10-minute treck via dinghy to continue to learn how to play bridge and to pander my wares. It's SO FUN to have finally created a unique piece of jewelry of my own design, and I have offered my fellow cruisers the opportunity to bring me their shells for a pair of their own. Life is sweet here in the Bahamas, warm breezes, friendly people of all colors and languages, and the chance to create - learn - live - love - breathe - play - exercise - meditate - and create.

No comments: